Monday, January 15, 2024

Welcome to the EME2040-005 Class Blog

Hi everyone! My name is Hui Shi. I’m a third-year doctoral student of Instructional Systems and Learning Technologies.  I was born in an eastern city in China, called Jining, which is the hometown of Confucius and also one of the most ancient cities in China. I have lived in different cities in China until finishing my master's degree. 

I earned my M.S. in Education Information Technology at East China Normal University in Shanghai city. I also went to Auburn University to study educational psychology as a short-term visiting student during my master’s program. My research interests include engagement and interaction in formal and informal online learning settings. Recently, I have been working on research projects such as student engagement patterns and performance prediction in online learning, teens’ informal learning on social media. I like traveling and experiencing different cultures. I also like watching drama and reality shows in my spare time. I'm a food lover, especially sweet food:) 

Being an ISLT instructor, I've experienced a variety of technologies as well as had lots of hands-on activities designing online courses, and collaborating with my peers. I designed lesson modules on Canvas by utilizing DesignTool. I developed interactive and engaging course activities using Padlet, Miro, FlipGrid, Voicethread, Kahoot, and Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). I also used many collaboration tools to work with my colleagues on several research projects, such as Google Drive, Microsoft Teams, Endnote, Slack, and Zoom. I also regard myself as a data analyst, because I'm good at mining latent patterns from student online learning behaviors by employing programming tools, such as SPSS, R, and Python.

As for my Personal Learning Network (PLN), I follow many professors and Ph.D. students in my major on Twitter (now switched to X) and Facebook, thereby getting a lot of helpful tips about research, teaching, job search, conference opportunities, etc. I usually attend the two largest conferences in my field (AECT and AERA) every year to network with people who have similar research interests to me and join academic communities. I like going to CGE's coffee hour at our campus on Friday afternoon. From there, I communicate with different people across the world and experience diverse cultures! These people, tools, and spaces comprise my PLN, which has enriched my life and academia. 

If you want to be connected with me online: 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the EME2040-005 Class Blog

Hi everyone! My name is Hui Shi. I’m a third-year doctoral student of Instructional Systems and Learning Technologies.  I was born in an eas...